Cool Apps on the Today Show
With a whole slew of apps available, the Today Show and I thought it was time we highlighted some of the new and interesting ones that have come out lately. Here I talk to Karl about some cool apps we’ve seen:
- Roamz is a location-based app that helps you find out what is happening around you.
- It shows you social content about places, events and activities that are relevant to you.
- It uses information from the networks you use like - Facebook, Foursquare, Instagram and Twitter. App cuts through the noise to deliver you personalized and intelligent suggestions.
- Shows you things that you are actually interested in.
- The more you use Roamz the smarter it gets - It learns more about what the user enjoys.
- Slogan is always being a local.
- You can capture and share Roamz moments at places that you discover too.
- Great way to discover secret locations in places all over the country and world.
- Cost: Free
- Is a really fun and addictive game.
- Much like pictionary on your phone.
- Great for the kids
- You have to guess a word using the picture drawn by playing partner
- Can play with friends and random opponents.
- Play with Friends or randoms on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch: Challenge friends on Facebook or Twitter, or be automatically partnered with new gaming buddies.
- No drawing skills required: You can create a picture that will make sense to guess the word. Can be very funny.
- Colour Craze - Over 50 colours available. Have play and win then buy.Turn-based Gameplay: Perfect for on the run. Take turns drawing and guessing at your own pace.
- Leaderboard: Rally back and forth with friends for the most "Turns."
- Bombs: If you're stumped on a word - exchange it for a new one by exploding it with a bomb. (Only 5 though)
- Push Notifications: Be alerted when it's your turn to draw or guess.
- Cost: Free
- Most popular app going at the moment.
- Viddy is a simple way for anyone to capture, beautify, and share videos.
- It's like instagram but instead of pictures it's video.
- Allows users to immediately upload videos.
- Advanced camera includes focus / exposure / white balance settings, audio metering, timer and more.
- Add visual effects, music, transitions, and even movie stars to your videos
- 100 percent free packs such as Vintage, Crystal, Solarize, Red, Exposed, Retro, Glam, BW, Hued, Junkd and 3D
- 100 percent free brand packs such as Snoop, Incubus, and more.
- Share your creation privately, to your friends, or to the world
- One-click sharing to the social web, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Tumblr
- Interact with your friends with tags, likes and comments
- Realtime video discovery and exploration from a vibrant community.
- An endless source of creativity, inspiration and personal expression.
- Videos are currently limited to :15 seconds.
- Vimeo and YouTube are great places to share longer videos.
- Video capture is not supported for iPhone 3G and older.
- Cost: Free
- Online 24 hour HD viewing channel of earth
- Camera is on international space station
- Live stream 24 hours a day - every day
- First images to be seen in HD of Earth
- NASA and other companies have been working together to set this up.
About Charlie Brown
Charlie Brown is one of Australia's foremost commentators on consumer lifestyle technology. He publishes, produces and hosts CyberShack, is Channel 9's technology expert, and hosts Life & Technology and 2GB and NewsTalk 4BC.
Charlie is able to communicate, educate and inspire a huge audience, without confusing technological jargon.
Life & Technology is on the air Sunday mornings at 10am on 2GB and NewsTalk 4BC.