Today Show – Waterproof Devices
On the Today Show Charlie talked about water-proof and shock-proof devices that can handle the rough and tumble when you're out and about. Here are the gadgets that he showcased on the segment.
The Nikon COOLPIX AW110 camera
- Nikon’s newest shock-proof, freeze-proof and water-proof camera
- Waterproof to 18m
- GPS – you could always track when you took a photo but now you can track where
- Built-in WiFi instant upload from camera to smart device
- 16 megapixels
- Designed for adventure and travel
- RRP: $375
Sony Xperia Tablet Z
- Offers a high level of water and dust resistance ever delivered in a tablet
- Can be kept under one metre of fresh water for up to 30 minutes
- Thin and light at only 6.9 mm and 495 grams
- Seamlessly share your music and images with one-touch (NFC) connectivity
- 8 MP camera with Exmor R for mobile lets you shoot photos in low light conditions
- 16GB WiFi (SRP $539)
- 32GB WiFi (SRP $649)
- 16GB with 4G/LTE connectivity (SRP $679)
Magellan Explorist 610
- Designed for serious outdoor sportspeople
- Australia Discovery Topographic Map features detailed street, track, trail information
- 3-axis Electronic Compass and Barometric Altimeter to let users know exactly where they are
- includes information about elevation and where users are, even when a GPS signal is unavailable
- Integrated 3.2 mega-pixel camera, microphone, and speakers to help capture and share all your outdoor experiences
- Worldwide Basemap that show roads, water features, parks, and city centres
- RRP $549
Telstra Tough 3 Phone
- Waterproof to 1m of water for up to 30 minutes
- Designed for Aussies who work and play in challenging conditions
- Built to withstand the top three ways in which Aussies damage phones – dropped, being knocked and water damage
- Has Blue Tick rating and external antenna port making for improved coverage in more areas
- Screen is enhanced for easy reading in sunlight
- Cased in a hard shock resistant shell with a scratch resistant Corning Gorilla Glass screen
Lifeproof Cases for iPhones and iPads
- Water proof, dirt proof, snow proof and shock proof
- LifeProof cases are tested to meet or exceed recognised standards including Military Standard 810F-516 against shock, and section IP 68 of the IEL 60592 standard against dirt and water ingress
- They with withstand full submersion in water, up to two metres for up to an hour
- Keeps ice and snow out.
- One of the lightest and slimmest tough cases you can find in Australia
- Manufacturer says LifeProod cases has even helped an iPad and iPod survive a plane crash in the Gulf of Mexico.
Panasonic Camcorder WA30
- Waterproof to 10m
- Ideal for shooting footage outdoors and underwater
- Versatile shooting with smooth Full HD video and high-quality 14-megapixel stills
- Wi-Fi capability for upload to social networking sites such as YouTube and Facebook
- Remote shooting supported by the Panasonic Image App for iOS/Android smartphones.
- Intelligent Auto selects the most suitable shooting mode for best results.
- Enhanced creativity options
Logitech Washable Keyboard
- It’s submergible in up to 28 centimetres of water and has convenient drainage holes at the back for easy drying.
- Laser printing and a UV coating help to make sure the keys can take a washing as well as a pounding.
- Works right out of the box. There’s no software to install, so you can plug, play and type away.
- With a single keystroke, you can access 12 most often used applications.
Sony Waterproof Walkman
- Can be used for swimming
- An all-in-one digital music player designed to be worn in the gym, while training outdoors, or in the pool
- With its waterproof design, the player withstands not just water but the sweat from intense workouts.
- 8 Hour battery life with 3 minute Quick Charge for 60 minutes playback
- Compact and lightweight design that allows you to move freely
- RRP $99
EVAP Water Rescue Pouch
- EVAP contains a unique drying agent that safely removes the moisture from sensitive electronics preventing damage while restoring use
- Claimed to be 700% more effective at removing moisture than rice
- For best results allow 6-24 hours
- Humidity indicator will signal that your device is ready
- Contains an exclusive High Grade Molecular Sieve (APG) – an absorbent material that holds a larger capacity and has a faster absorption speed for removal of carbon dioxide and water.
About Charlie Brown
Charlie Brown is one of Australia's foremost commentators on consumer lifestyle technology. He publishes, produces and hosts CyberShack, is Channel 9's technology expert, and hosts Life & Technology and 2GB and NewsTalk 4BC.
Charlie is able to communicate, educate and inspire a huge audience, without confusing technological jargon.
Life & Technology is on the air Sunday mornings at 10am on 2GB and NewsTalk 4BC.